For those who don’t know my boyfriend is Filipino. The other day he texted me asking me if I can make this traditional dish that he hasn’t had since he was little. I replied with “uhh I mean I can try.” I’ve never even heard of the dish, let alone tried to make it. This is one of the many reasons why Pinterest is my best friend. With a little help from that and putting my own spin on things I nailed it, well so my boyfriend says.
The soup is actually very easy to make and only takes a few minutes. it’s very light and perfect for a cold January day.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 pack of thin rice noodles
- 10 dried shiitake mushrooms sliced in half
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 small chicken breasts or 2 large ones cut up
- 2 tbsp of fish sauce
- 1/8 tsp white pepper seasoning
- 8 cups of chicken broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Green onions
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion
- Soak the noodles in hot water for about 15 minutes and drain
- Heat a pot over medium heat and add olive oil. Add garlic and mix around until golden brown.
- Add in the onions and sauté util they’re translucent.
- Add mushrooms and chicken. Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add fish sauce, white pepper and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add noodles and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a soup bowl, add chopped green onions for a garnish and enjoy!